Do you know what I love about great green enchilada sauce? This is a combination of roasted tomatillo and roasted chili. Tomatillo is an important Mexican ingredient and easy to cook.
Although they look like tiny green tomatoes, with a thin outer layer that you need to peel, they taste different and very different from the tomatoes you are used to.
You can eat tomatoes raw, but tomatillos are great for roasting and mixing, especially with other main Mexican ingredients like chili’s and all those delicious condiments.
Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce with Roasted Tomatillos – Recipe
Get your enchiladas ready with this homemade green enchilada sauce recipe made with fresh tomatillos, jalapenos, serranos and poblano peppers, from scratch in your own kitchen.
1 pound tomatillos
4 cloves garlic
2 jalapeno peppers
2 poblano peppers
2 serrano peppers
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
½ tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon spicy chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups chicken broth
Juice from 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and rinse the tomatillos. Chop them in half and set them skin sides up onto a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Slice all of the peppers in half lengthwise and set them onto the baking sheet. You might need more than one sheet. Also, remove the innards of the poblano before placing them.
- Add the garlic to the baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the pepper skins are nice and charred. You can also broil them, but don’t set them too close to the heat source. Remove from heat and let everything cool a bit.
- Peel the skins from the peppers, if desired, and add to a food processor with tomatillos. Squeeze the garlic from their skins and into the food processor they go.
- Add cilantro, cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper.
- Process to combine.
- Add chicken broth and lime juice and process until smooth.
- Pour the green enchilada sauce into a pan or a pot and simmer for 5-10 minutes or so to let the flavors fully develop.
Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 73mg | Potassium: 600mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1059IU | Vitamin C: 72mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 2mg